La Selva Beach
La Selva Beach is one of the several small communities located in and around Aptos. It neighbors Seascape to the north, Corralitos to the east, and Watsonville to the south. The name "La Selva" is Spanish for "the jungle", or, in temperate regions, "the forest". When founded, the small beach community was surrounded by dense conifer woods.
In 1925 it was founded as Rob Roy by real estate developer David Batchelor. The now-defunct (since 2000) Rob Roy Video Store was the only business in the area to make note of this heritage. In 1935 the name was changed to La Selva Beach by the new developer, Edward Burghard. Most of the existing houses were built in the early 1960s. In the 1970s the residents convinced state government to remove "Beach" from the direction signs. Officially the name is still La Selva Beach.
La Selva Beach is adjacent to Manresa State Beach where one can fish, surf, and boogie board. These breaks are not as popular as others in Santa Cruz County. La Selva Beach does not have direct public access.
The central park of La Selva Beach is Triangle Park. The park is triangular in form and enhanced by a triangular structure with the flags of the world. There is also a horseshoe pit.
In the summer, one can witness small girls practicing their baton-twirling/hurling skills in preparation for the La Selva Beach 4th of July Parade. This parade is shorter but less known than the so-called "World's Shortest Parade" which takes place concurrently in Aptos, California.
In winter, one can view the painted-wood Christmas-themed display and lights of "Candlelight Lane." Candlelight Lane is what Playa Boulevard is transformed into during the month of December from its intersection of San Andreas Boulevard with Estrella Boulevard. Multi-colored lights are placed upon the pine trees and palm trees.